Bottle Cap Decorations
A really fun ‘upcycling’ project – devised after my 12yo asked “Can you recycle the beer bottle caps?” and the Beer Bods subscribing husband has been hoarding his beer bottle lids for SOME TIME now…
We’ve made a little YouTube video which you can click on below to watch and learn… and indeed SUBSCRIBE to watch more creative stories of sustainability…(and a bit of incredibusy vlogging too) !
So -back to these Beer Bottle Cap Decorations…
Beer bottle cap crafts
You will need:
A) 13 beer bottle caps….
i} six beer bottle caps of one colour
ii} six beer bottle caps of another colour
iii} one beer bottle cap which is yet another design altogether!
B) Something with an ‘edge’ to it to bend the beer cap over… (we used the ridge on the back of a spoon)
C) Pliers, if you’re not quite strong enough to bend/fold the beer caps
D) A round shape to build the decoration on, we used a golden syrup tin lid, or you can use cardboard
E) Glue – we use a glue-gun for speed.
F) Ribbon to hang the decoration from the tree
- Arrange your beer bottle caps in the pattern you will end up with – so one cap in the middle, we used a red cap – and a flower pattern of six green caps around that red cap.
- Then we bent/folded six white caps (watch the YouTube video to the end where you will see how I bent these caps)
- Glue the red cap onto the round backing (the golden syrup tin in our example)
- Glue the six green caps around the red cap in a flower shape
- Glue the folded white caps between each of the green caps
- Fold some red ribbon into a loop and glue to the back of the round golden syrup lid so that you can hang these decorations
We are planning on making a wreath for the door with our beer bottle cap decorations, so we will need to make a whole load more (this is why we have not added the red ribbon at this stage) so watch this space as our wreath grows and grows!
Watch to the end for this week’s STOP MOTION ANIMATION…
It’s thanks to our local Craft Brewery Brixton Brewery, that we have QUITE so many beer bottle caps – and of course to Evil Gordon our Beer Bods pal, who we met this summer at the Fforest gather – a mini family friendly gathering in the gorgeous setting of Fforest in Cardigan.
And for those of you who asked, my Sweatshirt in the video is from Selfish Mother.
If you enjoyed this post, do subscribe and have a look at my StopMotion PLAYLIST here.