I was making supper last night when 16yo asked me if we could go for a pizza, charming I thought, until he told me that he was ‘craving dough balls’ – so I searched for a few garlic dough ball recipes and bodged together this deliciousness. (Feeds about 8)
He doesn’t like cheese, and so many recipes for dough balls seem to be stuffed with cheese (weirdly).
Foolishly they were so delicious that I didn’t get a chance to photograph them before they were eaten up – but rest assured – I will be making them again this weekend – in daylight, so will attempt to try a vegan version of this Garlic Dough Ball Recipe and take some photos before I alert the masses that they are ready to eat!
For the dough balls (makes 24)
- 500g strong organic white bread flour
- 2 teaspoon Fairtrade sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 2 teaspoon soft butter (will try this with Olive Oil and let you know how we get on, should work for a vegan recipe)
For the garlic butter
- 2 tablespoon soft organic butter (should work with a vegan spread if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley, or 1 tsp dried parsley, oregano or dried basil
Step by step
- Pour the flour and salt in a large bowl, stir in the sugar and dried yeast, then rub in the butter. Slowly add enough warm water to form a soft, slightly sticky dough. Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 minutes.
- Divide into 24 small pieces, roll them into balls, then place on an oiled baking tray with space around them (they will stick if you don’t oil the pan!). Cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place for 40-50 minutes, or until doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 230°C, fan 210°C, gas 8. (Don’t worry too much if they don’t rise at this stage, once they start baking you’ll see them ‘grow’)
- Bake the dough balls for 10 minutes, then lower the temperature to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6 and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until risen, golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Mix the soft butter and olive oil together, and mix in the garlic and parsley. Serve the deliciously warm dough balls with the garlic mixture dabbed over them.
Hope you enjoy trying this Garlic Dough Ball Recipe – let me see your photos!